International negotiation protocol in France
- Since the atmosphere is formal and reserved, it is not usual practice to ask questions or to deal with matters considered as being confidential.
- The price is the last aspect discussed.
- The technique of haggling over prices is not considered very proper by French society.
- It is indispensable to treat people formally (using “vous”) or address them as “Mr” or “Mrs” and their.
- Swapping business cards is usual practice at the first meeting.
Negotiations go slowly: the negotiators always attempt to ensure that it is the other party which brings up the issues to be discussed.