International negotiation protocol in China
It is important to bear in mind Chinese idiosyncrasy:
- The Chinese are great negotiators
- Negotiations are carried out through a network of relations and contacts between people who cooperate and exchange favours
- The reputation, image, fame, public importance and prestige of a person in society are very important in Chinese culture.
- To go more deeply into relations with the Chinese party, one good idea is to talk about business over meals or to prepare gifts for meetings.
- Patience is the best ally. Never show your nerves at meetings with the Chinese party !
- Using cards in English on one side and with Chinese characters on the other shows great respect for their culture.